Sunday, March 11, 2012

Blog Entry #2 : Writing instruction reflection

Thinking back on my early writing experiences, I can't help but recall my eighth grade English class.  The teacher had us diagram sentences.  I was not a big fan of doing this because it seemed too restrictive.  In my young mind, I already knew how to talk and put sentences together; why was I being asked to do something I already understood?  Now after reading about Chomsky's theory of surface and deep structure sentences, I can see how being able to break down a sentence and put it into order is important.  I ponder whether students still diagram sentences in classrooms of today.

1 comment:

  1. It has been a huge debate to diagram or not to diagram. Many educators think that diagraming is a lost art. I was one of those that "had" to diagram everything. I think it has helped me immensely now! Greene the author of the intervention "Language!" says we must get back to that skill. I think there is a lot to be said for that......Time becomes the issue for teachers with all of the other district directives.

    ReplyDelete