Sunday, March 11, 2012

Blog #3 Oral language and the reading process

I thought that Gibbons had a good point when she wrote that ELL learners do not study a language in a separate context; they study a language by immersing themselves in it. I also found it fascinating to read that children are born with language understanding, no matter what country they live in.  They are prewired so to speak to be able to talk and read with some sort of common understanding that is developed as they continue through school.  I find it interesting that a student can come across a sentence while reading and have the natural ability to rearrange it or rethink it in a way that makes sense to him or her.  Hearing language being spoken out loud and being able to communicate with others builds upon not only the verbal ability of an individual but also his or her ability to read and gain meaning from text.

No comments:

Post a Comment